Saturday 23 June 2007

You See Through Fads And Your Crazy Phases, Yeah!

I was channel hopping a few days ago, when I happened across a show I'd never seen or heard of before, which upon later investigation turned out to be BBC2's Let Me Entertain You. I didn't know what was going on. Almost immediately, a pair of dancing magicians were introduced, and a small clock started counting in one corner, while another counter slowly increased from 0% in another. This puzzled me, so I kept watching. After a minute and a half, the right hand counter reached 50% and a sound instructed the dancing magicians to please clear off now, which they politely did. They had yet to perform any magic. Because I am more intelligent than a melon, I successfully inferred more or less the entire premise of the show from this. (For the record, I would like to ask what kind of mind goes to see a talent show and presses their "get 'em off" button within two seconds of an act starting. That seems more than slightly perverse to me.)

Now far be it for me to point out horrendous flaws in game show mechanics, but it seems to me that this programme is essentially little more than channel-hopping for the terminally lazy and suggestible.

After this, a singer came on and I turned over. Hence, by its own scoring system, Let Me Entertain You scored a little over three minutes and failed to win the £1000 prize. Oh, well. Can't win 'em all, eh?

No comments: